A lush green space in the heart of the city
Point State Park, located at the confluence of three rivers, is at the tip of Pittsburgh's "Golden Triangle." The park commemorates and preserves the strategic and historic heritage of the area during the French and Indian War (1754 - 1763).
The spot where the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers join to form the mighty Ohio was once a busy industrial zone, but had deteriorated into a commercial slum by the 1940s. The development of a state park was authorized in 1945 and the first parcel of the 36-acre property was purchased the next year. The park was completed and dedicated in 1974. In 1975, Point State Park was designated a National Historic Landmark. After decades of continuous use the fountain fell into disrepair.
Riverlife, an organization founded in 1999 to reclaim and promote Pittsburgh's riverfronts as environmental, recreational and cultural hubs for southwestern Pennsylvanians and their visitors, worked with the park's owner, the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and other partners to restore and improve the fountain as a dramatic focal point of the city skyline in 2013. Its riverfront trails -- which are planned to grow and improve -- are popular with runners, cyclist and commuters seeking a lunchtime getaway close to the office. The park hosts dozens of concerts throughout the warm weather months, as well as yoga expos and the annual Three Rivers Arts Festival.
The fountain and surrounding landscape enhancements now include seating, a raised fountain base, a cascading circular "infinity edge" waterfall to touch, all new stone paving surfaces, and new plumbing and electrical systems.
DCNR works in collaboration with the Heinz History Center and the Fort Pitt Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution to interpret the history of the Forks of the Ohio at the Fort Pitt Blockhouse and Museum on the park's grounds.
--Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources