Average Salary: Entry level--$60,150 Experienced--$165,640
Education/Training Required: Bachelor's Degree
Energy Industries: Gas
Petroleum Engineers devise methods to improve oil and gas extraction and production and determine the need for new or modified tool designs. They oversee drilling and offer technical advice. ·
- Assess costs and estimate the production capabilities of oil and gas wells to evaluate the economic viability of potential drilling sites.
- Develop plans for oil and gas field drilling,and for product recovery and treatment.
- Direct and monitor the completion and evaluation of wells, well testing, or well surveys.
- Analyze data to recommend placement of wells and supplementary processes to enhance production.
- Monitor production rates, and plan rework processes to improve production.
- Interpret drilling and testing information for personnel.
- Specify and supervise well modification and stimulation programs to maximize oil and gas recovery.
- Confer with scientific, engineering, and technical personnel to resolve design, research, testing and operating issues. ·
Critical Knowledge ·
- Engineering and Technology - Practical application of engineering science and technology principles to the design and production of goods and services. ·
- Mathematics - Arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications. ·
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub-atomic structures and processes. ·
- Chemistry - Composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods. ·
- Administration and Management - Business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership techniques, and production methods. ·
- Economic sand Accounting - Economic and financial principles and practices, for example, to judge well site profitability.
Tools and Technologies Used·
- Laptop, notebook computers ·
- Analytic or scientific software: Computer modeling, Well Flow Dynamics, Engineering formulas
- Financial analysis and Project management software