North of the Allegheny River
The North Side stretches along the Ohio and Allegheny Rivers and actually comprises 18 different neighborhoods, each with its own identity. With a storied past, beginning as Allegheny City in 1840, the North Side was built by wealthy and working class residents from a range of ethnic origins including English, Scotch-Irish, German, Croatian, Czech, Serbian, Carpatho-Rusyn and African-American. Many of the traditions of these groups are evident today in North Side churches, businesses, lodges and festivals.
Late 19th century architectural styles such as Italianate, Queen Anne, French Second Empire and Greek Revival define the history and a resurgence in restoring and preserving landmarks in this part of the city. Several of the neighborhoods, and many of the homes and buildings, are on the National Register of Historic Places, including Manchester, the Mexican War Streets, Central North Side, Deutschtown, the Calvary United Methodist Church, Allegheny Post Office, Perry High School and the Carnegie Library.
The first World Series baseball game in a National League stadium was in 1903 at Exposition Park, on the site of the current PNC Park. (The Pirates bested the Boston Pilgrims in that game, but lost the series.) The Pirates played home games at the stadium from 1891 to 1909, when they moved to Forbes Field in Oakland for what would be the next 60 years.
With easy access to public transportation, the walkability of many of the neighborhood business districts, and an array of bridges across the Allegheny River to downtown, the North Side is a convenient place to live and work. And the stunning view of the city's skyline gives many of the residents a nightly treat for the senses. The North Side is a great place to enjoy the outdoors at Riverview Park, Allegheny Commons, West Park and the North Shore trail which connects to downtown. Major attractions are located along the North Shore including the Carnegie Science Center, Heinz Field (home of the Pittsburgh Steelers), and PNC Park (home of the Pittsburgh Pirates).
The North Side's distinct neighborhoods have strong anchors, including Allegheny General Hospital in Allegheny East, the Community College of Allegheny County in Allegheny West and such corporations as Alcoa and Del Monte Foods along the North Shore. The true heart of the North Side business districts is the hundreds of local owners, many of who have been in operation for three generations. Gus & Yia-Yia's Iceball Stand for example, has been selling fresh popcorn, peanuts and old-fashioned ice balls (similar to snow cones) hand-scraped from a block of ice, under a bright umbrella in West Park since 1934.