Average Salary: Entry level--$60,010 Experienced--$95,570
Education/Training Required: Bachelor's Degree
Jobs Available: 87-240
Energy Industries: Coal, Gas, Nuclear, Solar, Transmission & Distribution, Wind
Mechanical engineers are involved in the design, evaluation, operation, repair, and maintenance of heat, gas, water and steam and have a thorough understanding of mechanical dynamics, fluid dynamics and thermal dynamics. In energy fields they may be involved in everything from plant design to nuclear reactor repair. Travelius Harris is a Field Service Engineer for Westinghouse and travels the world to help nuclear power companies bring their back online, since outages can cost a company over a million dollars a day in lost revenue. “I enjoy being the technical expert under fire,” Travelius says. "But I have the full technical support and backup I need with Westinghouse to diagnose a problem and determine a solution for customers.”
- Develop designs for new products, create designs to specifications, develop prototypes.
- Assist drafters in developing the structural design of products using drafting tools or computer-assisted design (CAD) or drafting and software. ·
- Document design of product or solution. ·
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications ·
- Use quantitative software for simulations and modeling. ·
- Complete risk analysis or other analysis on costs and benefits of engineering solution. ·
- Monitor quality of manufacturing, quantity of re-work. ·
- Support installation of energy (need technical background to understand , help design energy solutions). ·
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, or computer-generated reports.
- Confer with engineers or other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, or provide technical information. ·
- Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification. ·
- Develop, coordinate, or monitor all aspects of production, including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication, or operation of product designs.
Tools and Technologies ·
- Coordinate measuring machines - Optical laser scanners ·
- Flowmeters - Digital particle image velocimeters; Laser Doppler ; Laser Doppler velocimeters
- Machine mounts or vibration isolators - Vibration control ; Vibration isolators
- Semiconductor process - Plasma ; Projection lithography ; Wafer dicing ; Wire bonders
- Signal - Function ; Pattern
- Software - Word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, project management, materials management and supply chain